Lean Muscle Challenge: Week 1

Good evening everyone! I hope you are all doing fantastic and the New Year is starting off well. My first week of the lean muscle challenge went so-so. I varied slightly some days from the workouts and was not on point with my macros and calories. I was definitely really sore, especially from that time off from strength training. I am super excited to be getting back into it! Here's to improving week 2! I was able to finish an audio book this week! Yay! I made nutella and it was tasty! Here's my training week in review:

Lean Muscle Challenge Week 1:

Monday 1/6/20: Legs, Calves, Abs, and Cardio

Strength Training:


Leg Extensions
3 x 20 reps
80lb

Machine Squats
3 x 20 reps
140lb

Leg Presses
3 x 20 reps
180lb, 270lb, 360lb

Lying Hamstring Curls
3 x 15 reps
30lb, 40lb, 40lb

Standing Calf Raises
3 x 20 reps
45lb

Elevated Sit Ups
3 x Failure

Lying Leg Raises
3 x Failure

Cardio:

Elliptical



Tuesday 1/7/20: Back and OrangeTheory

Strength:


High Machine Lat Pull Downs
3 x 15 reps
30lb, 50lb, 70lb

Reverse Grip Lat Pull Downs
3 x 15 reps
50lb, 70lb, 70lb

Reverse Grip Bent Over Barbell Rows
3 x 15 reps
40lb, 40lb, 50lb

Cable Rows
3 x 15 reps
60lb

Dumbbell Deadlifts
3 x 15 reps
20lb DBs, 25lb DBs, 30lb DBs

Cardio:

OrangeTheory



Wednesday 1/8/20: Chest, Abs, and Cardio

Strength:


Incline Chest Press
3 x 10 reps
60lb

Incline Dumbbell Flyes
3 x 15 reps
8lb DBs

Dumbbell Chest Press
3 x 15 reps
20lb DBs

Cable Flyes
3 x 10 reps
10lb DBs

Push Ups
3 x Failure

Oblique Crunches
3 x Failure

Tuck Crunches 
3 x Failure

Bicycle Crunches
1 x 20

Plank 
3 x Failure

Cardio:

Elliptical


Thursday 1/9/20: Shoulder, Calves, and OrangeTheory

Strength:


Seated Lateral Raises
3 x 15 reps
8lb DBs

Rear Delt Pec Deck Flyes
3 x 15 reps
30lb, 40lb, 50lb

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
3 x 15 reps
25lb DBs

Incline Rear Delt Dumbbell Raises
3 x 15 reps
15lb DBs

Machine Shoulder Press
3 x 15 reps
30lb, 40lb, 50lb

Seated Calf Raises
4 x 30 reps
45lb

Cardio:

OrangeTheory


Friday 1/10/20: Arms, Abs, and Cardio

Strength:


Tricep Extensions
3 x 15 reps
20lb

Cable Curls
3 x 15 reps
50lb

Lying Tricep Extensions
3 x 15 reps
30lb

Neutral Grip Barbell Curls
3 x 15 reps
30lb

Bench Dips
3 x Failure

Dumbbell Curls
3 x 15
15lb DBs

Lying Leg Raises
5 x 20 reps

Crunches
5 x 20 reps

Cardio:

Elliptical


I forgot my Fitbit, so I do not have any data for my workout. I worked out twice. 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon on the elliptical.

Saturday 1/11/20: TRX and Cardio

TRX



Cardio:

Elliptical



Acupuncture and Massage

This felt great. I was really tight and acupuncture and massage helped. It also always relaxes me mentally. Such a great stress relief!

Sunday 1/12/20: Rest

Measurements for Lean Muscle Challenge:


No measurements this week, but next week I will have the works (photos, weight, other measurements).

Diet:

I did do a weight check in and my macronutrients are still the same. For training days, they are 1806 calories: 173g Carbs (38%), 150g Protein (33%), and 58g Fats (29%). For rest days, they are 1576 calories: 115g Carbs (29%), 150g Protein (38%), and 58g Fats (33%).

My diet was better this week! I did not meet the recommended amounts for whole grains, beans, or leafy greens. I did meet it for fish, nuts, poultry, and berries. I did well limiting cheese beef and poultry (only enough for recommended MIND diet amount), and butter. I was not the greatest at meeting my calorie goals. I did maintain my weight, but I want to drop back down. I have realized I have a problem with snacking. Nuts are my downfall. I am going to buy less nuts, and buy the snack sizes when I do buy them. Even with that, I definitely have to work on my snacking with anything. That has always been one of my struggles, and lately, it has been my biggest issue. Even with healthy snacks, I just keep going overboard. I will work on that.

I still need to read more on "Food Freedom". Once I do so, I will definitely talk more about it. I was so-so on meeting my macronutrient goals. Some days were spot on and others were not. This week I am determined to do better!

No Added Sugar

Saturday will be the start of my no added sugar for this month. However, it is going to be extended since I am starting the whole life challenge Saturday 1/18/2020. This first week will be less strict than my last no added sugar. Allowing for stevia, monk fruit, and artificial sweeteners (since I am not focusing on less sweet). Especially since once the whole life challenge starts, it will be way stricter. It will still allow for stevia and monk fruit, but no other artificial sweeteners. I will talk about it more. Since I will be starting that it will be an extended no added sugar that will go a total of 6 weeks. We shall see how that goes. It will still be as a whole less strict that my previous one (since I can use stevia and monk fruit).

Whole Life Challenge

I signed up for the Whole Life Challenge which starts Saturday 1/18/2020. I am excited for it. It will definitely be a big challenge for me, but it goes along with my resolutions this year. It will take care of my January and February no added sugar. The Whole Life Challenge focuses on the 7 Daily Habits: Exercise, Nutrition, Hydrate, Mobilize, Sleep, Well-Being, and Reflect. My plan is to do the performance nutrition for vegetarian (since I have been mostly vegetarian as of late). I will take a couple of hits on having oats and yogurt occasionally, but the whole life challenge works based on points so I would lose a point (or 2) whenever I have those. My hydration goal will still be a gallon of water a day, and my sleep will be 7 hours a night. This week I am going to work on setting up a meal plan. I am also happy with easing into the no added sugar this week, since it will get harder beginning on Saturday!

"You dream. You plan. You reach. There will be obstacles. There will be doubters. There will be mistakes. But with hard work, with belief, with confidence and trust in yourself and those around you, there are no limits." -Michael Phelps

I may not have been doing the greatest lately, but I have to keep working. I know I am capable. I just to reset and get back on track. That is one of the reasons I am super excited for the Whole Life Challenge. Will it be difficult? Very much so, but I think it is achievable!

Until next time,
πŸ’–Ari πŸ’–

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolutions in Progress

Improving that Leviosa!

Remembrall Needed, Mine's Busted!